I was on the hunt to find a deliciously chocolatey milkshake alternative for when my sweet tooth pays me a visit, and I think I have found it! This smoothie is free of added sugars, contains protein and healthy fats, is vegan and super rich. And in tasting it, I don’t think that you’d believe there is a veggie in there. If you’re interested in adding more veggies to your everyday smoothies, then check out this post I did a while back with more ideas for adding vegetables into smoothies and the health benefits they provide.
Basically, the more I learn about health and nutrition, the more variety of whole foods I try to fit into my everyday now that I am becoming aware of the vast benefits. I love cauliflower for it’s detoxing benefits as well as being a source of Vitamin K and Vitamin C, as well as a good amount of fibre, potassium, phosphorus and B Vitamins. It also hides in a smoothie amazingly well, with minimal flavour and no added colour.
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower (I use organic cauli rice from costco)
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 cups oat milk (can also use regular, hemp, coconut, almond milk, etc) I have been obsessed with Sojade Oat milk from Healthy Planet, it is super tasty and only has 2 ingredients; oats and water)
- 2-3 heaping tbsp peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (depending on how dark you like your chocolate)
- Optional protein add-in: 1/4 cup Hemp seeds, or protein powder of your choice.
- Optional sweetness 1-2 tbsp maple syrup. I personally find it was sweet enough with 2 bananas, but little ones may find it a little bitter if they are used to added sugars
- You know the drill…Add it all to blender and get blendy my fiends. Keep adding more liquid until desired consistency is achieved.
I don’t think you’ll have any leftovers, but IF you do, pour them into popsicle molds and you will have chocolate pop’s for an easy snack for you or your littles.
So next time you have a sweet tooth but want to avoid the added sugar of a regular milkshake, or are vegan and need and alternative, here you have it! Enjoy!!